I'm Dean - a Senior Product Designer at Booking.com,
LinkedIn - Dribbble - Medium
way to learn
I was senior product designer at Tassomai
between Feburary 2019 and February 2020.
I Ied the UX, UI, visual design and branding during this
In regards to this case study, I delivered all research and design assets. The case study focuses on allowing students to see their goals (homework) for a given day and week, for a given subject and across multiple subjects and for them to know when this is due.
At the end of 2017 and 2018 I worked with Pie as a Product Designer on a number of new and existing products.
One of these products was LLRA which provides HGV compliant routing to fleet operators and their drivers via a web and mobile app.
The aim was to design an experience that made it quick and easy for freelance and full time drivers to sign up, input their specific vehicle dimensions and create a “from” and “to” route. See case study here.
See the clickable prototype here. It was designed and built in Framer using MapBox API (swipe left & right on the bar at the top of the prototype where it says "map" to switch between day and night mode).
Whilst at Pie I was the lead product designer on Pie Drive. The product was built so that drivers could see a list of their jobs and start a job using a compliant route. The jobs would be sent to Pie Drive using the web app Pie Plan that I also worked on.
Pie Drive was a really interesting project to work on because we had to make a great deal of information available to the driver without making it feel overwhelming. We carried out user testing on numerous occasions with drivers inside their truck so that we could get a real appreciation of not only what they needed on the screen but also the ergonomics of having the screen placed above and in front of where they were sat.
There were a lot of things we learn't from the user testing with drivers. One of the key take aways was that the font was too small. Amazingly, none of the drivers mentioned this, but every-time they would interact with the tablet they would lean forward off their chair slightly to get closer.
FOOD JUST GOT
In 2016, FoodToDo wanted to update their website so that users could navigate the website easier and be inspired to eat better whilst doing so. They also wanted to introduce a way for people to track their dietary intake, meal plans and recipes via an app.
Together with the FoodToDo team we decided to create a flow where users could see lots of beautiful enticing meal plan ideas without having to necessarily click. For the phone app we used carefully considered hierarchy of components so that users could navigate between different days of the week and see the respective plans and dietary break downs with minimal friction.
EduAssess is a desktop and web app platform to help teachers provide personalised feedback to students. I came up with the idea and then worked with one of the General Assembly's cohorts on a pro bono basis to research, design and test the platform.
Below is one of our design studios where we worked with teachers and other designers.
After the project with the GA cohort had finished, I then tested EduAssess with more teachers. I then also redesigned many parts to make it even easier to use. I later worked with a friend to build the platform. You can see the live build here.
I created two mood boards. Above is an example. Each mood board was informed by the mood statements but also by blur tests that contrasted against competitors (competitors were using low contrast primary tones and colours).
After having the mood board, colour swatches, I was able to put together a high-level style tile. As you can see as well as including colours and imagery, it also includes UI elements such as buttons and cards. A very quick clickable prototype was put together using Figma and Principle to help show how the app could look and feel.
Six hour design task to explore how mobile apps and/or the web might be used to improve how a tenant reports a maintenance issue and how, between the landlord and agent, that issue is resolved. I was the only person who worked on this task. Full case study can be found here. Due to the time available, only secondary research was carried out. I approached the task by answering 6 questions - "Five W's and How" (5W1H). Why, Who, When and Where, What and How. Answering these questions helped me get to the solving stage where I created high-level storyboards, user-flows and sitemaps. When sketching the storyboard, I made the assumption that the tenant's primary action will be reporting an issue.
Although primarily a UX task, visual design was also required. To come up with the visual style, I started with mood statements that were informed by the earlier user stories. They included current moods but also ideal moods. Some examples include "Tenant feels frustrated when they can't get a response back from the Landlord or Agent on WhatsApp of when the issue will be resolved" (Current) vs "Tenant feels confident that they will get a message back from the Landlord or Agent on MyPlace regarding an issue".